Monday, May 19, 2014

Binge Reading, Part II

Yes, I am still aggressively avoiding my WIP. Although my preferred form of distraction is reading, I have branched out into de-cluttering various closets, cabinets, and even a portion of attic space. The results on that front is substantial, but less interesting than the books I've read, so, let's chat about those. . .


To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Lara Jean has a hidden stash of letters that she's written to all the boy's she's ever crushed on. They were never meant to be mailed, but when somehow, they are, the consequences are unexpected. This book made me happy inside. I loved the strong family bonds between Lara Jean, her father and two sisters, the strong personalities of each of the characters, and that even though Lara Jean isn't part of the in crowd, she's completely comfortable being who she is - staying in to bake homemade cupcakes for her sister's class bake sale when her classmates are out partying. I loved that I wasn't sure what I was hoping for until halfway through the book.  And I love that there's a sequel in the works so I can experience more of Lara Jean and her story.


The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson 

When Lennie Walker's older sister dies unexpectedly, Lennie finds that grief changes everything -- the way she can't seem to talk to her grandmother anymore, the way her clarinet playing isn't what it used to be, the way she has to write down her memories, and the way she looks at her sister's boyfriend, Toby, who seems to share her grief in a way no one else does. And then there's Joe, the new boy in town whose smiles make Lennie want to experience life in whole new ways. This story is full of strong emotions, a mix of sheer joy and utter loss and writing that is lyrical, full of imagery, and makes me think I would read anything by this author.


Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Okay, the beginning of this book was confusing.There are these territory wars between the cadets, the townies, and the boarders of the Jellicoe School. I wasn't sure what to make of all of it for a long while (maybe 100 pages?) but I had been told by numerous people that it was worth sticking with and that everything would come together and it would be worth it. IT WAS! I usually don't read the full blurb of a book. I like to be surprised by a story, and often the blurbs just give too much away, IMO. But in this case, I wish I had read the blurb. I think it would have saved me undue confusion. A lot of characters are introduced at the outset and I had trouble keeping them straight. Plus there are flashbacks introduced by way of a manuscript from one of the characters, that I just wasn't sure how they connected with the main story line for a while. But when everything comes together, every last piece falls into place. As a writer, I'm in awe of Ms. Marchetta and her ability to pull it off so beautifully. When I finished the last page, I immediately went back and re-read all of the flashbacks to make sure I fully appreciated every intricacy.



The Dirt Diary by Anna Staniszewski

When you're in junior high, scrubbing toilets with your mother for extra cash is not the kind of job you brag about to your friends. It also makes encountering your classmates, and even your enemies even more uncomfortable when you're picking up their dirty underwear and dusting off their crazy zombie figurine collection. But, when Rachel's parents split up, her plan to get them back together involves paying off a plane ticket to Florida, so she puts on a smile, grabs a toilet brush and gets to work. This was a fast, fun, lighthearted read full of lively writing and mouth-watering talk of sweets. (Rachel is also a baker looking for the perfect recipe for the school bake-off.). I found it shelved as YA, although it had more of a MG feel to it.


This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

This is a sweet contemporary romance that starts out with a misdirected email and ends up with a real-life encounter between a teenage movie star and maybe the one girl on earth who doesn't swoon over him. It's hard for 17-year-old Ellie to think of THE Graham Larkin as the boy she's been corresponding with for the past few months, but when he shows up in her small town to shoot scenes for his latest movie, she has to decide if being part of his life is worth the risk, especially since there's a secret in her past that, if the paparazzi uncovers, could change her life forever.



28 comments:

  1. Thank you for the book recommendations. Except for The Sky is Everywhere, I haven't read the others. I'm going to look up a couple of them.

    Get writing, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to laugh - I too, am aggressively avoiding the WIP. Not that I'm not getting things done, just not quite the right things. Glad to know I am not alone. Sounds like your time isn't entirely unproductive though. Thanks for the info on these books. File your reading under research, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these great YA book recommendations, Ruth; more titles to place on my TBR list. Sounds like your spring cleaning is reaping benefits - good for you! (I must admit that our house is pleading for the same!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's what I miss out on when I'm trying to write--the reading for pleasure--maybe it's time for a break. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - The Sky is Everywhere is a terrific book. And I love the sound of Jenny Han's book too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading a lot and not writing a whole lot this week, too. Something about sitting in the sun reading a great book is such a perfect activity this time of year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the reviews. I'll add them to my Goodreads list. I try to read at least a book a week. Reading inspires me to write more. And, I have to say I'm enjoying the change from non-fiction to fiction. Novels are more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always look forward to your reviews. I agree that The Dirty Diary is much more MG, and a lively one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great continued Reading Binge. It's the best kind of binge. I've read Jellicoe Road and loved it. Guess I have to get busy and read more of your suggested books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Jellicoe Road. The rest of these books I'm gong to have to put on my list. Sigh. I just cant' read fast enough too keep up with my growing list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sadly, I'd rather discuss de-cluttering. Reader's block.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found a really fun post last week titled 'To All The Cookies I've Loved Before'. Lemme see... http://gillianeberry.blogspot.com/2014/05/baking-books-to-all-cookies-ive-loved.html Thought maybe you'd enjoy that! =) I have so got to read Jellicoe Road and get in on this story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many good recs! I keep hearing good things about Han's book. Okay. I'm going to put that on hold right now. I also love Jennifer E. Smith. I've been binge-reading her books, but I haven't read the one you mentioned yet. I'm also looking forward to reading Anna's new book. Thanks for featuring these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, these all sound amazing. Don't know which one to pick up first! Sadly, I've been procrastinating my writing with house work too. I need to stop that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the book recs. I do so enjoy your reviews (and your daughter's too).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reading and watching movies helps to jump-start my muse. Lately I've been writing in free-hand to help unblock. Thanks for sharing your latest reads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diversionary tactics indeed... or is it research? Whichever it is, it sounds like you've had a great 'read-in'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have Jellicoe Road on my to-read already, and am getting more curious about it. Hope I stick through the first 100 pages!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for binge reading! Sometimes, we just have to.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, you're covering a lot of territory! I just finished Julie Klassen's book, The Tutor's Daughter. LOL! I think it took me three months. (I was reading two other books at the same time."

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, yeah! I have been also on a reading binge lately!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the list of books, they are now on my must read list. I'm another addict of binge reading!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So many great options. I've been meaning to read the first one--it's on my gigantic TBR list on Goodreads, I think. I just can't seem to read fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've read a couple of these. The Dirt Diary sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't wait for the school year to end so I can disappear under a pile of books.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good for you on the decluttering! Thanks for sharing about the books.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Binge on books or declutter? Hmmm ... think I'll binge on books! :D Nope. I have to seriously get down to business on my one area of clutter - my desk. I'm afraid it's my Waterloo! My way to avoid? I'll probably decide there's something I "have to" bake today!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jenny Han's book was one of my favorites this year, so far. I also can't wait for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete