Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Muse's Doorway



My good friend, Jennifer, got me this for Christmas from our local Art Market (made by artist Monica Bleiler.) She said it looks like the muse's doorway leading to story land. I love that! And I'm scouting out the perfect space next to my desk to hang it so that the muse can visit me often.

Here are some of my favorite quotes about creativity. I hope they bring the muse through your doorway.


You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not’?” – George Bernard Shaw

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. –Scott Adams



Photo courtesy of Free Artistic Photos


Creativity makes a leap, then looks to see where it is. – Mason Cooley

Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. – Erich Fromm

Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it. – Dee Hock

“Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up” – Pablo Picasso

“If you hear a voice within you say, ‘You cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced” – Vincent Van Gogh

Photo courtesy of Free Artistic Photos


“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try” – Dr. Seuss

“Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that’s easy. What’s hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity” – Charles Mingus

Anxiety is part of creativity, the need to get something out, the need to be rid of something or to get in touch with something within. – David Duchovny

“Creativity is contagious, pass it on” – Albert Einstein

20 comments:

  1. Lovely quotes, and pictures too! I love the idea of a muse's doorway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new doorway muse is poignant.
    Ah, creativity. I find the muse more mysterious than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic idea! nothing beats a little doorway reminder. great inspiring quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muse's doorway is so artistic! Love the quotes here, especially Dr. Seuss's and Charles Mingus's. The latter's right: anyone can be weird; being creative is different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quotes! Erich Fromm's is my favorite. Thanks, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quotes and I love the art sculpture. What's even better is that your friend knows you well enough to pick up such a piece filled with whimsy and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great gift! I feel creative just looking at the muse's dooorway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your muse's doorway and the quotes! Happy New Year, and here's to a great year of writing in 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These quotes are great! And I love the muse's doorway, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those quotes - all of them! .. and the doorway. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that door and all those quotes! What a great friend. With a name like Jennifer; how could she be anything but great? :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable door!! Love it. And those quotes are super cool. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I especially like that last quote (although they're all great!) - thanks for passing the creativity along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I love good quotes. And love that pic of the painted houses!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved all the quotes, particularly the one by Mason Cooley. I don't know who he is, but that quote really spoke to me. Thanks for the insights into creativity. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the thinks you can think! I like asking "What if?" It keeps me busy -- and, hopefully, out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for your lovely words! I plan on signing up for the 2013 Novels in Verse Challenge as well.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are great quotes, Ruth. My muse has no excuses now! "The muse's doorway leading to story land," well, I love that, too! I hope that piece of art sparks tons of inspiration in your muse!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ruth, that's a beautiful piece to hang on your wall! I love all these quotes, but the one that really grabbed me is "Making the simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity.” – Charles Mingus

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous post! I love the gateway to storyland! The quotes are awesome, too! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete